Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Befor and After

Four months ago we had this crazy idea to buy an old travel trailer, fix it up, and spend our days traveling together in it. We stalked online ads, and within a week, purchased our trailer. Every single weekend since then, we've worked countless hours remodeling it. Finally, it's done, and it's home! Dreaming with the person you love and making that dream come true - that's what it's all about, my friends! GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG



.
.
.
.
.
.
.



















Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Assembly

Our stove panels came back from Schmidt Body and Paint, where they had sandblasted, filled, and powder coated the panels and hood in light blue. We were so excited about the color that we had them also spray a large magnet board that will be on the wall to the left as you enter the trailer. The cabinet doors have been installed with 1950's type hinges, and all new hardware in a "rocket era" style were installed to match with the torpedo style window cranks.


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



Counter tops for both the kitchen and bar received new laminent in a pearl and minor sparkle finish. The aluminum trim for the kitchen counter edges and table (not shown) was salvaged and polished. We're still looking for the same trim to add to the bar. The corner aluminum cove moulding was unsalvagable, but was easily found and has been ordered from Vintage Trailer Supply.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.

Unhappy with the previous color we chose for the back walls, we changed to a dark brown which really set off the new millwork and colors of the cabinets and stove .
.



Construction (part III)

New doors constructed for the forward and aft cabinets to match the existing cubbard doors. A textured plexi-glass insert will fit from behind the door.
.
..
.

Face board and "outhouse" door opening attached to bed and storage framing.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.

Table top and sink counter (not shown) cut and ready for laminent. New seating boards for under the dining cushions cut and covered in a thin adhesive backed vinyl so as not to snag on the fabric.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Construction (part II)

The original wood from the bunk bed was reused to make the rear cabinet structure (to match the front cabinet). Scallops were then cut, sanded and attached for both the forward and rear cabinets.














New fascia boards were also attached to cover the seams and joints; these will eventually be painted and have new doors.






Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Construction (part I)

Bed framing. In place of the original rear fold out seating to a bed, we decided to make it a permanent bed (48" x 80"). Under the rear half of the framing will be storage accessed from the exterior side panel. The forward half will contain a pull out self contained port-a-potti.(http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/product/detail.cfm/nid/205/pid/2503) .

.
New supports for dinning benches. The water tanks have been cleaned and repainted. The port side has a ten gallon water tank and the starboard side a six gallon tank. The smaller tank allows for a separate compartment to house the future marine battery and inverter to allow remote electricity.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Future bar area (former retro-fitted refrigerator) has been reframed and panelled.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Preporation

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Cabinets, walls and ceiling primed and sealed.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Interior of cabinets and drawers painted first.
.
We then put a first coat of paint on the walls, cabinets and cabinet doors, as well as buffed the aluminum window trim with extra fine steel wool.



Monday, May 4, 2009

The demolition process.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Sitting in the orchard awaiting the transformation.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The removal of cabinet doors, stove, counters, and benches. The forward cabinet fascia was in bad shape (and ugly), so we pulled it off with plans of a new scalloped face and doors.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
Refrigerator removed; we then blew out the off-set wall and began thinking of how to utilize the exhaust door as a pass through window for a bar.

We were so pleased to find that the original floor hidden under the carpet was in great shape.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The somewhat endless process of spackelling, wood filling, sanding, caulking...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The stove panels have been removed and sent to be powder coated.